WordPress provides you a very convenient way to recover your admin password using your email id that was used during installation. But, for some reason, if you don’t have access to the email address or your WordPress site fails to send an email, then you will have to reset WordPress admin password manually.
How to reset admin password manually?
To reset your password manually, you need to reset your WordPress password directly in the database. There are two methods and you can use either of them.
In this method, we will not use any command. Instead, follow these steps to recover your password:
- Login to your cPanel and navigate to phpMyAdmin, which will allow you to access your database.
2. Click on the phpMyAdmin and select the database from the left column.
3. This will show you a list of tables where you will do the changes. Scroll down the tables until you find the wp_users. Click on the browse link this will show you the list of users
4. You need to click on the edit button next to the username for which you want to reset the password.
5. Now, you can see a form where all the user information is available. Go to the user pass row and replace with a new password. After that, you need to select MD5 from the top down menu under the function column.
6. Click on the go button, it will be stored in your database
There is another easy method that you can consider to reset your password. Below are the steps:
- Login to your cPanel and navigate to phpMyAdmin.
- Select the right database from the left column.
- Click on the SQL, which is located on the top menu bar
4. Copy and paste the following code into the SQL query text box.
UPDATE `wp_users` SET `user_pass` = MD5( ‘new_password‘ ) WHERE `wp_users`.`user_login` = “admin_username“;
5. Click on the Go button. That’s all. You have successfully reset your password for your WordPress admin.
Note: Make sure you replace new_password with the new password and replace admin_username with the administrator’s username.
You can further consider reading our article on 20 key terms an entrepreneur should know about Search Engine Marketing.
We believe, this tutorial has helped you to to reset WordPress admin password manually. If you liked our article, please do share this on your social media and spread the word. This will help us reach out to more users like you.