W3 Total Cache is one of the best cache plugins for WordPress websites. In comparison with other plugins available in WordPress directory, this plugin comes with rich features such as Minify, Database Cache, Object Cache, Cloudflare & CDN support, which improves the website performance, SEO quality and user experience. But, there might be a possibility of hosting compatibility issues or non-compatibility with other plugins and it can affect your site!
In that situation, you need to disable or uninstall W3 total cache plugin. While uninstalling the plugin many of you leave the cache files and configuration file into your root directory. It is important for you to uninstall it correctly, otherwise, it may create issues in the future.
In this article, we are going to talk about how to completely uninstall W3 Total Cache plugin from your WordPress website.
As mentioned above, when you install this plugin on your WordPress site, it creates various folders in your root directory and adds some codes in the .htaccess file.
All plugin files get stored in public_html>wp-content>plugins>W3-Total-Cache. While the other three folders public_html>wp-content>Cache, public_html>wp-content>W3tc-config.php and public_html>wp-content>Advanced-cache.php consist of Configuration file.
- How to completely uninstall W3 Total Cache plugin
To uninstall W3 Total Cache plugin, follow these steps :
- Login to your WordPress website and go to Performance section.
- Click on general setting and uncheck all checkboxes such as Page Cache, Minify, Database Cache, Object cache & browser cache.
- Click on Save all settings.
- This will remove all the codes in htaccess file and the wp-config file. Otherwise, you will need to remove these codes manually.
- Now click on the ‘Plugins Option’ from the left side of dashboard panel and deactivate W3 Total Cache.
- You have now successfully deactivated W3 Total Cache plugin.
- Now, click on Delete to delete W3 total cache plugin.
- On the next page, you will see a confirmation screen to remove W3 Total cache plugin. Click on Yes, delete these files button.
- Now the plugin has been successfully removed from your WordPress site. But some files and folders are still left in your WordPress directory.
- To delete these files & folders, Login to your CPanel account>>Click on file manager>>Go to WP-content folder.
- In WP-content folder, delete Cache folder & W3tc-config file.
Congratulations, you have now completely removed W3-Total-Cache Plugin from your WordPress website!
If you have WP Super Cache plugin and want to uninstall then consider reading (how to completely uninstall WP Super Cache Plugin from WordPress site).