Twitter, a social networking site launched in 2006, is one of the world’s leading social media platforms. Primarily used for ‘tweets’ of text, GIFs, videos, photos and other media, users are provided with a globally accessible and accessible platform to share ideas.
Twitter allows you to organize your spaces with moments and bookmarks. You can retweet and reply to other users’ tweets and it will be available to view on your profile.
Twitter now even provides sharing of thoughts and recent news as well. Therefore, since the arrival of Twitter, the procession of videos and images going viral has been propelled. Also, various campaigns have taken root and spread like fire because of Twitter. The more users connect and share, the faster the communication has been expanding.
How To Customise Your Twitter Account?
People from all walks of life follow Twitter; The more informative and engaging content you share, the more your engagement grows. Particularly, if you are a Social Media Influencer, have a business or want to increase your profile as much as possible for work purposes, then the following methods of suitable optimization should be your cup of tea:-
- Login to your Twitter account either by the means of www.twitter.com or from the mobile device app (be it Android or iOS).
- Enter the credentials and access your Twitter account in no time.
- Move to your profile
- Click on the Edit Profile icon
- Add or change the header photo (recommended to be around 1500 x 500 pixels)
- Add or change the profile photo (recommended to be around 400 x 400 pixels)
- Add or change the bio (you can have a maximum of 160 characters)
- Add birthday
- Add location and website (optional)
But, you do not know how to change the username?
How To Change Your Username on Web/Android?
Follow the given steps to change your Twitter handle or your username of the Twitter account:-
- If you are signing in from a web browser, visit the official website for the log-in link or click here
- Or, if you gave the app on your mobile device, click it open. Enter the credentials if needed and get into your Twitter account.
- Select settings and then manoeuvre to the privacy tab from the drop-down icon of your profile.
- Under your account, you will be directed to make changes to your username. Be sure that you follow the following rules while assigning yourself a new username:
- Your username should have at least 4 characters and at most 15 characters long
- Do not include spaces in your username
- You can have alphabets, numbers and underscore in your username
- No special characters are allowed except underscore and the @ symbol which is default in the beginning of the username.
- Click on Done after finishing the username.
Now, the new username will be displayed on your profile. Also, while entering the username, there are chances that you might have to change some combinations in order to get a unique username.
Once you give up your old username, it will automatically be available for someone else to take.
How To Change Your Twitter Handle on iOS?
While accessing the account and changing the username is more or less the same with Android mobiles and web-based accessing facilities, it can be slightly different for iOS device users. Therefore, follow the given steps to access and change your username on the Twitter handle on an iOS mobile phone:-
- Go to the Twitter app
- Click on the Me button the bottom of the screen for being redirected to the profile page
- Click Edit for editing the profile
- Change the username by following the rules
- Click on Done to save the new username
How To Change Your Display Name?
Your display name is the personal identifier that acts as an element of distinguishing you from others. The display name does not necessarily have to be extremely unique like the username of the Twitter handle. The display name can be up to 50 characters long depending on your choice.
You can change the display name as well. All you have to do is follow the given steps:
- If you are using a web browser, click on this link to navigate to the log-in page of your account or click here.
- Or, if you are using your mobile app, click open the Twitter app, enter the pass credentials if needed and login to your account.
- Click on your profile and then move to edit profile
- The name field for changing the display name will appear. You can type your preferred name there. It is generally ‘plain English’ and users either use a real name or a quirky name
- Click on ‘Save’ button after you are done
If you wish to have a dope Twitter handle name, visit this link for some great ideas: https://turbofuture.com/internet/twitter-name-ideas
Twitter is a formidable platform for sharing and gaining perceptions. If handled well, change will be witnessed sooner rather than later. Twitter Fleets which are actually Twitter Stories, is another development that is generating further interest in Twitter and the tweeting activity.
So, these were the possible ways to change the username of your Twitter handle. If you still have any doubts, let us know in the comments!
Common FAQs – Change Twitter Handle
Q. If I change my username, will I lose my existing followers?
No, you will not. It is absolutely a hoax that changing the username would cause the user to lose its existing followers or a 360-degree transformation in the tweets and posts you have made. Instead, the followers will see that you have changed your username while the posts remain.
Q. Is the Display name the same as the username of the Twitter handle?
No, username and display name are not the same things. It is so because while the display name of the user can be the same as the display name of another user, the username never will be. Username performs the main function of filtering out and identifying the person in the sea of people because of its uniqueness but the display name shall show many suggestions while searching because of the lack of uniqueness.
See More: How To Download Instagram Reels