Minecraft, first launched in 2011, is an open-world survival game where the players are thrust in to survive on their own. The players are supposed to maintain health by eating regularly, keep the enemies at bay, loot utilities while keeping their loot safe from others.
Minecraft has prominently launched the following developments:
- Minecraft Java Edition
- Minecraft Pocket Edition
- Minecraft Bedrock Edition
- Minecraft Education Edition
- Minecraft for PC Editions
- Minecraft for Legacy Console Editions
Divided into 5 modes with the difficulty levels splayed forth, Minecraft is a sandbox game that has been feted for crafting out a complex system that maintains a good balance between exploration of the world, building the spaces and also combating for survival.
While Minecraft has been widely played on consoles and PCs, is it compatible with Chromebook?
What is a Chromebook?
Like Windows OS, macOS and Linux based PCs and laptops, Chromebook is also a newly designed computer. Chromebook is a laptop that runs on Google developed Chrome OS instead of the traditional operating systems generally used.
The new member has been received well because of the following features:-
- Cheaper price
- Easy browsing of web, emails and other internet based activities smoothly
- Offline files access
- Long-lasting battery life
Will Minecraft run on Chromebook?
Unfortunately, reports suggest that it would be difficult to run Minecraft on Chromebook. It is so because Minecraft is compatible with Windows OS, Linux and Mac but has yet not received a similar compatibility facet for Chrome OS.
Therefore, until then, it is not possible to run Minecraft on Chromebook. However, there are some ways to download and install Minecraft on Chromebook to play.
Downloading and Installing Minecraft on Chromebook
The Chrome OS of Chromebook is mainly a web browser. Such computers are not made for gaming. That is why the general settings of Chromebook have to be altered, probably via rooting methods, to accommodate playing Minecraft.
[Bonus Tip:- Some of the best gaming laptops to buy are: Razer Blade 15 Advanced or Razer Blade Pro 17, Asus ROG Zephyrus G14, MSI GF 63 and Lenovo Legion 5i. These are more or less run on Windows or Mac.]
How to Download and Install Minecraft on Chromebook
As Minecraft, except the Education Edition version, is not compatible with the Chrome OS of the Chromebook laptop, you will have to take the help of Linux installation and other Ubuntu platforms.
Following the given steps, and if you have already installed Linux on Chromebook, skip 1-4 steps:-
- Open settings and click Advanced. In the expanded Menu, find Developers and click on it.
- Next to Linux Development Environment (BETA), select and click on Turn on
- Once Linux is installed, search for Terminal by opening the App Drawer then maneuvering into Linux Apps where the terminal will be present.
- Run the provided command to update Linux
- Then, visit this link https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/alternative of the official website to download the Ubuntu/Debian file for Minecraft
- Move the file to the Linux Apps tab. Once the file is downloaded, double-click to open it and click on Install.
- Then, navigate back to Linux apps from App Drawer and find Minecraft Launcher (You can also use the search key)
- Login with your microsoft account in the Minecraft Launcher
- Click on Play Demo for starting download. The app will close and reopen after download.
How To Play Minecraft on Chromebook?
Some tips to play Minecraft effectively on Chromebook are:-
- Chromebook allows you to play Minecraft via the WASD keys.
- You can fix the mouse sensitivity by visiting Options, then Mouse Sensitivity. There, select Hyperspeed for mouse sensitivity.
- Also, if you wish to lock the mouse pointer by using the Chrome flags to enable smoother and better gaming, do the following:
- Open the Chrome browser and paste the copied line: chrome://flags/#exo-pointer-lock on the search bar. Hit Enter.
- Find the pointer lock, enable it and then restart the Chromebook.
- In case of errors, run the Linux command to install the Java Development kit. You can access it from the Terminal present in the App Drawer of Linux apps.
Minecraft Education Edition
Minecraft has launched the Education Edition that can be easily installed on the Chrome OS of the Chromebook. It is so because Chromebook supports Android apps and therefore, the game can be roped in via the haven of Android users–Google PlayStore.
This version of Minecraft has been launched to promote a game-based learning environment. In order to ignite the interest of students towards learning with the back to school motive. The Minecraft Education Edition has stirred the inclusion of various special lessons to support the remote hybrid learning platform.
The Minecraft Education edition can be accessed by educators and education users easily as long as Chromebook supports Android apps.
Steps to download and install Minecraft Education Edition are:-
Step:1: Move to the settings of your Chromebook laptop and then enable the setting option of Google PlayStore by turning it on (Follow this link in order to be equipped with the detailed guide).
In this way, the Google PlayStore will now be accessible for you on the laptop.
Step:2: Now, open the Google PlayStore and search for Minecraft Education Edition. Select the game when you find it and install it.
This software is available for educators and students. Therefore, if your institution (school) has provided you with free access with an ID, you can always access it.
Or else, the student ID without subscription generally has only 10 logins and beyond that will require a subscription. Your school will have to be licensed under the Microsoft 365 account to avail of the services of Minecraft Education Edition.
So, these were some of the methods to get Minecraft downloaded and installed on the Chromebook running on Chrome OS.
Let us know in the comments what you think about these methods!
PS. Previously, Minecraft Bedrock was a compatible partaker in the Chromebook till mid-2020. However, upon the call of Minecraft Education Edition to be integrated and included in the Chrome OS, the Bedrock edition had to be taken away.
See More: Best Minecraft Hosting Services